Saturday, May 27, 2017

Christianity growing In Indonesia as many are converting to Christ!



Christianity is growing in Indonesia, according to a Baptist pastor from Jakarta. But at the same time, the influence of radical Islam is also being felt, with some districts in the country adapting highly restrictive bylaws.
The pastor, going by the name Kongkin, told The Christian Post in a phone interview on Thursday that his ministry in Jakarta helps persecuted Christians and makes sure their stories are heard across the country and abroad.
"When one part of the body suffers, every part suffers with it," Kongkin said
He told CP that he is a former Muslim, and that it was the Gospel message itself that convinced him to start following Jesus Christ.
"The call of Salvation by Christ," he described as the main reason for his decision to convert. "The message of forgiveness, which extends to sinners. I realized I was without hope" while part of the Islamic faith, he explained.
"I heard the Gospel from my friend and I saw his family's testimony, [his] walk as a Christian," and the "peace and joy" that came with it, and thought "that's what I want."
"I started searching for the Lord, and accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior," he said.
Kongkin noted that his Muslim family "thought I was crazy" at first, that his conversion to Christianity was "part of my rebellious spirit," and even though they first hoped that he would go back to Islam, eventually they realized he was committed to his new faith.
The pastor explained that he did not suffer beatings and was not cast out by his family, who he described as more "modern Muslim," but he was treated differently by other relatives who follow a stricter version of Islam.
He said that while they still wanted to have a relationship with him, they would do things such as refuse to greet him at Christmas, and made it clear that "we are on different sides."
Indonesia is the world's largest Muslim nation, and though Christianity only makes up seven percent of the population, according to the CIA Factbook, Kongkin said that more people are embracing Jesus.
He insisted that he doesn't say that "because I am a Christian, just to excite the Christian body, but this is what I personally see happening.

1 comment: